Molly wowed us with her raw apple pie straight out of the dehydrator. It tasted even better served up in our red apple swing apron.
This is her first attempt at a raw apple pie (from The Everything Raw Cookbook by M Snyder and N Faass) and it was a yummy success.
1/2 c raisins
1 1/2 c dates
3 c apples, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp salt ( I skipped this)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamon
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Soak the raisins and dates in water for 20 minutes to reconstitute.
2. To prepare the crust, process the almonds, salt (remember I skipped the salt) and 1 cup dates in a food processor until a batter is formed. Press the batter into a 9" round pie pan.
3. To prepare the filling, blend together 1 cup apple, 1/2 cup dates, raisins, cinnamon, and cardamon (I didn't have any cardamon so I put in some pinches of nutmeg and allspice) until smooth.
4. Process the remaining 2 cups of apples in a food processor with the lemon juice. The apples should be chunky. Add in the blended filling and briefly pulse until it is well mixed together.
5. Pour the filling into the pie crust. Refrigerate or dehydrate for 2 hours and serve warm.